like many of the people in the country, I mourned Kobe Bryant’s passing this week. He’s the same age as one of our sons who played basketball at LSU and successfully played 10 years overseas.
But always struck me about Kobe was his work ethic. Many of you may not know it, but what if we all worked like and practiced like Kobe: and
- He’d show up to practice at 5 AM and leave at 7 AM…. In high school
- After practice he makes some of his high school teammates play one-on-one games to 100
- Once with the Lakers is coach found the 18-year-old Bryant shooting in the dark gym two hours before practice
- he was always the first player in the gym even when he was hurt
- when he broke his right wrist, while it was in a cast he would practice dribbling in shooting with his left hand
- he once played left-handed because he injured his right shoulder
- He even practice without a ball
- he once held a workout from 4:15 AM to 11 AM refusing to leave until he made 800 shots
- he was all about improvement, even in the tiniest ways
- he decided to lose 16 pounds for the Olympics in 2012, citing the need to keep knees pain-free
- he scored 81 points in a game
- he iced his knees for 20 minutes three times a day and did acupuncture so he wouldn’t get hurt
- he eliminated sugar from his diet and only a lean meat
- he used to watch film of himself at halftime
- he went through super intense workouts on game days
- he taught himself to play Beethoven’s Moonlight Sonata on piano by ear
- he co-called business people and entrepreneurs to learn about them and their secrets to success
- he texted business leaders at all hours of the day… Even 3 AM to pick their brains
What if we all worked like that. How successful would we all be?
When Kobe met God, and God asked him, “Kobe, I gave you all kinds of gifts. Did you use them to the best of your ability?” I’m certain that Colby was able to say, “yes, God. I did.”
So the lesson is simple. Life is very short! And, when God asks us if we really used all the abilities that he gave us, what will our answer be?