this is one of the many mantras of Alcoholics Anonymous and it applies to many of the aspects of, especially, a job seekers emotional reaction to much of the rejection and refusal they receive in their quest. It’s so important to remember this mantra, because it reminds the job seeker what they can and can’t control.
Here are some of the things they don’t cause, they can’t change and they can’t cure:
- Knowing that they are very qualified to perform on a job… If they can get the interview.
- Not being able to get their resume read by people who would really understand.
- Not being able to get an interview, even though they tried everything they can.
- Not hearing anything From a prospective employer after applying.
- Being told they would get in an interview and then never hearing from the company
- being told they are a “great” candidate and then never hearing from the company
- being told that they are “in strong consideration,” and never hearing anymore
- being told they would be brought back as a “finalist” and then hearing nothing
- being told they would receive an offer and then never hearing anything from the firm
Remember, as a job seeker you can only control your actions and your emotions. If you do your best to get lots of interviews and try to get into as many interviewing cycles as you possibly can, you won’t have to worry about what you can’t control or influence. Focus on the things that you can cause that you can change And that you can cure.